Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Yasunízate and a Circus?

Sorry it's been a while, and this post doesn't have any of my photos, just stuff I took from the internet.

On Sunday there was a BIG event put on by Yasuni-itt, a group in Ecuador trying to protect the environment, specifically the Amazon area, from exploitation. It was right across the street at the Casa de la Cultura, and Azucena took me and the girls to check it out.

Through this initiative, the goal of the event was to make enough money to petition congress for something legal to stop petroleum production in some areas of the amazon.

So, after seeing a "circus act" (no animals included, just costumes and juggling), which was funny from what I understood, and being coerced into eating something akin to funnel cake, I got bombarded by the paparazzi. Why? I was the ONLY gringa at the entire event. So they had to interview me talking about why it's important to save the environment, and of course my spanish crippled under pressure. Whatever. Look out for a video circulating the internet about some crazy girl babbling in spanish and looking awkward.

But then we went in to the big concert hall where they were filming for the live telathon thing, and surprise! President Rafael Correa was there! He even gave an impromptu musical performance...

So yeah, after watching the performances, we came home and watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarves in spanish. It was cute.

Look out for a post about a Quito Thanksgiving, and I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment