Thursday, September 15, 2011

Colombia-Ecuador Relations

This is a quick post with no pictures. Sorry.

Today we went to the immigration office to get a government-official ID stating that we are students here for a semester. It was really interesting, for me at least, to notice how many Colombian people were trying to obtain some sort of visa or citizenship in Ecuador in order to escape the drug conflicts, etc. happening in Colombia. Because so many Colombians are fleeing the country and crossing the boarder into Ecuador, the immigration office has been seeing an exponential increase in Colombian immigrants. There is also a huge refugee concentration in some parts of the city. It's no wonder that this is happening, I had just never really thought about it before today. I mean, we hear in the US that Colombia is one of the main sources for drugs like cocaine, but they never really talk about how the drug cartels are affecting the people living in Colombia. I don't really know where I'm going with this, I just wanted to throw it out there.

Anyways, food for thought.

We are off to Baños this weekend, so I should have tons of pictures later!

No comments:

Post a Comment