Monday, September 19, 2011

Mi Casa and the Government?

So, my house is located across the street from the main political/governmental buildings. The financial building, Congress, and other main branches of the Ecuadorian government are all situated next to the Casa de la Cultura, so it seems like there is always something going on on the other side of the street.

Every weekend in the park that is right here there is an artisanal fair where people from all over the country come to sell their paintings and other works of art.

Almost every weekend there has been some sort of big concert in the Casa de la Cultura, and we can hear it from our front terrace, so sometimes we sit outside and listen as a family. It's cute.

But on days like today, there are HUGE protests that clog the street in front of my house as literally thousands of people march from who knows where in order to change something about society. According to my mamí, I'm not allowed to go near the other side of the street on those days because if something were to happen and I were to end up in jail for being a protestor, I would be in a world of trouble. So I don't go near it, although I do want to get a picture one of these days. Some pretty huge governmental actions are supposed to happen in the next month, so I'm sure I can sneak a picture sometime soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment