Friday, December 12, 2014

Books on Books on Books

I've been on a big reading kick lately. I think I've read at least 7 books in the last month- which is CRAZY. But, I figured I would share some of my favorites lately. And, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm always looking for a new one!

This is easily my favorite from this last month. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown is the biography of the nine young men, and predominantly Joe Rantz, as they developed, competed, and eventually came to row in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It's a gripping story, and I could not put it down!

Another biography, The Romanov Sisters is by Helen Rappaport, follows the story of the four daughters of the last Tsar of Russia from their beginnings to their untimely, brutal deaths at the hands of the Russian Revolutionaries. I've always had a fascination with the Romanov family and the downfall of their dynasty, so this was a very long, dry read that was worth it. 

I hadn't read Dan Brown's latest novel, Inferno, until dad and I went to Italy, which was great timing, since this novel takes place in both Florence AND Venice. What a coincidence! This novel follows Robert Langdon again in solving a nail-biting mystery in order to save the world. It follows the same style as DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons

I remember LOVING Julia Alvarez when I read her in high school, so when this book popped up in my "free books" on my iPad, I jumped.  How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents was a very easy read, but some of the underlying political, racial, and cultural insinuations were very on-point. It follows a family and their four girls as they move from the tumultuous Dominican Republic to New York City to escape the horrors that their home country was going through. It was poignant and told through a series of short stories of different perspective.


I read a few more, but these were my favorites. Anyone have any good suggestions for what to read next??

No comments:

Post a Comment